Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Beginning...

Hello all.

My name is Rob.  The handle that I use "Annoyed Historian" is, I think, fairly accurate.  Recently, I have been droning on about history (so my friends say).  It's not just about history.  It's about the lack of knowledge of the past that seems to have infected our school system, and the young people of our great nation.  The story of how this blog came to be is not very long, though it covers a long time span.  Several months ago, I was having a conversation with a co-worker.  The subject of WWII in the Pacific came up.  I had mentioned that General MacArthur refused to leave Corregidor in the Phillippene Islands.  His response was: "Who?" 

I was floored.  "General Douglas MacArthur?  Supreme Commander Allied Forces Southwest Pacific Ocean Areas?"  (Okay, that was a long title not needed, but I was trying to make a point).  Now I realize that MacA wasn't as well known as say FDR, but REALLY!?  So I asked, if he knew who commanded the confederate forces at the Battle of Gettysburg, and to my shock and horror, he had no idea.  What are these young people being taught in school?  How can they not teach the major players in the Civil War, WWI, WWII?  So, back to the story.  I began regailing the tale to many of my friends (My age).  After several angry tirades, and much complaining, my friends had had enough. 

"Rob, shut up.  Seriously.  We get it.  If you want to bitch, write a blog.  We don't care anymore." 

So here I am.  I will be writing everyday...hopefully.  With the hope that some young people may find this blog to be informative and informational...well, maybe at the very least entertaining.  I will be posting on anything and everything.  I will attempt to spotlight certain historical figures, Generals, Presidents, Heroes, and other great Americans who have had a profound impact upon our Country's development.  If you have any topics you would like discussed, please comment, and I will do what I can.  So, with that I leave you with a quote that I have heard several times, though I have no idea who said it...(yeah, I am a bit annoyed about that too).

"Those who do not learn the lessons of history, are doomed to repeat them". 

Please comment with any suggestions. 
P.S. Thanks Kristi...

4 comments:

  1. This is a GREAT idea!! I am looking forward to reading what you come up with. My supreme motivation for homeschooling is the horrible history education our kids get in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. History Channel is the best thing on TV and is a great tool to make up for what is not getting taught in schools.

    ReplyDelete